Monday, July 20, 2026

Where You Bin'?? (Part 1)


It's been a busy time here and Chez Stanbury and the twists and turns of life are more twisted and turn-y than a vines on our growing pumpkins. Lots has happened but its all more than words allow so  I guess I shall start at the very beginning and see how it all ends up.

February was a rather eventful month all around. We had some early mornings at the beginning of the month as DS and I set out early so he could take photos for his GCSE work (and mainly because he wants to). He is doing well with this - more on it later



A bit later in Frebruary we had one of our first disasters of the year in the discovering of some kind of drain blockage. After a couple of visits from our water supplier, and then dyno rod we worked out that the drain outside our utility was actually a soakaway drain that had collapsed. This meant that it was not a suitable drain for laundry water as we seen when the hole we dug filled up with gross blue Persil water. We dont use it but DS21 does, so we had to remedy this part of the situation too. The initial thought was that we would have to dig into the floor of our conservatory, but the end result was a drain fitted to the toilet to accept the laundry waste. This isnt always possible but our drains here are mixed drains. Once done, the mammouth task of repairing the soakawat drain began. First with a 10 foot hole for the pipe to be drained into, then a backwards tracking of pipework to the break which was by the tree. After this, new turf was placed and walls repaired leaving us a while without use of the garden fully. It was an expensive repair.

This was followed in short succession with a complete boiler break in March. Following a leak and an assessment by our dear plumber it was ruled an unfit boiler and needed to be replaced. It was also noted that incorrect drainage was in place too and this required DS floor to be lifted to replace pipework. So began the emptying of the room and the expensive replacement. On lifting the floor, the carpet was rotten after being in situ for 18 years and the walls got damaged so cue a Changing Rooms style makeover for his Lordship.



And with all the drama there was a little bit more when ds managed to break his fingers whilst helping DH load up a ton of compost. This set him back for a good few weeks. 
I did manange to get to grips with some cooking - fruit cake and two ingredient bagels.  Both highly delicious. 
We were very grateful to get chance to spend time with grand daughters earlier in the year for a few days and am looking forward to getting more chances thoughout the year. I am blessed to have my other lovely grandkids close by so I am not completely bereft but its lovely to see them all when I can.
Mid March there was an accidental purchase of nine bags of plants at a plant sale - ooops!

And during my birthday month I was duly reminded that my son is now much much taller than my 5ft 6 self. Sigh. 

In April we ended our History topic with a visit to the Magna Carta in Salisbury Cathedral. We were moved by it in various ways. And especially stunned at the neat and tiny writing it contained. 

Throughout the year DS21 managed to have three car accidents; with his last being the most serious although he still mananged to walk away with no major injuryes. The result was a new car for him. In the early summer I needed a new car for me for different reasons 
In late April we finished our Marine Animals Science with a visit to the local aquarium


At the end of April my dear auntie died after a horrendously drawn out illness. Her funeral was very sad and moving but I have hope I'll see her again after she spoke of seeing Jesus in Heaven in her last hours, so I am hoping she came to faith in those last moments. Now to keep praying for the others in my family who have left or never recieved Jesus. 

With the hole in the garden filled in we re-turfed, built some walls and rebuilt the chicken coop. This seemed great until three days later builders came to tell us they were tearing down our back fence and shed. Sigh it was a real stress. It went on until last month and really violated our privacy for the whole time.

In May we had a happy time when we got a new kitten. We have felt a bit forlorn since our Tiger-Cat died a few years ago so when we heard our daughters neighbors' cat had kittens we were intrigued. A few weeks later and meet Toby-Cat our brand new little boy. 😻







We have had lots of family and frienship drama over these past months which have left us a bit fraught. As my children age I am unable to divulge the struggles these days as we work out how to work through things, deal with challenged and manage issues. We are continuing in prayer thoughout and out church family are walking with us through it all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment, I try to reply to every one I receive. Please come back soon. 🙂